For those of you that follow my reviews, you’ll probably already be aware of my previous Turtle Bay posts. I have been a fan since my very first experience, during their opening week which had me sold at RUM CAKE & BAHAMA MAMA!
This being said, it’s been a wee while since I’ve managed to get across to Turtle Bay, Norwich.
This is the first big menu enhancement that the restaurant has undertaken since it came to Norwich and includes 15 new dishes, 7 new drinks and some new gluten free, veggie and vegan options – YAY!:-D
I was kindly invited to head down for a review and decided to bring an old school friend with me. We started our experience with pre-meal drinks (I know! What was I thinking!?), before being greeted by Tom who very kindly took us over to our table…
The menu has been inspired by the feedback from guests but still stems from the Caribbean culture that Turtle Bay is all about (I personally didn’t have any problems with the previous one, but I’m always happy to try new food!). The dishes continue to celebrate Turtle Bay’s signature flavours with some fresh new twists and offer more choice for those with allergies and dietary requirements. I noticed there was also some healthier options on the menu too. The classic dishes such as the famous Jerk Chicken and Curried goat that I tried on my first visit to Turtle Bay are still on the menu which I was pleased to see. Our servers were all very friendly, happy and always available if we needed more drinks etc.
With the bank holiday weekend in full swing, cocktail o’clock was inevitable! However, of course we did tuck into some awesome food!
7pm and from 9:30pm Sunday to Thursday and until 7pm and from 10pm Friday to Saturday. All cocktails £7.15
Starter: Just Jerk Platter (Sharing dish)
- Marinated Jerk wings, glazed pork ribs, jerk beef riblets, Jamaican beef patty, sweet corn fritters, spiced popcorn, herb mayo & super green salad £13.95
Cocktail: Roots Culture
- Uncle Wray overproof rum, served with strawberry liquear, raspberry & lime & lemonade
Mains: Jerk Sirloin Steak & Slow Braised Beef Ribs
- Jerk Sirloin Steak (served Medium-Rare); Jerk pit grilled sirloin steak. Served with spiced fries, dressed salad & sweet onion chutney, fresh green seasoning & choice of jerk glaze. £16.95
I asked for my steak to be cooked medium/rare, for me, it was a little over down for my liking. Needless to say, it was still a very good steak, and my tummy was more than happy!
- Slow Braised Beef Ribs; Marinated beef ribs, slow cooked & jerk pit grilled, with sweet onion chutney & green seasoning. Served with sweet potato fries, fresh watermelon, lime & coriander slaw. Choice of Jerk sauce. £14.95
The meet was bang on. Tender, packed full of flavour & went down well with the sides. The watermelon salad was refreshing, but personally for us, it didn’t quite go.
Cocktails: Mojito & One Love
One Love; Passoa, Blackwell rum, fresh passion fruit & coconut syrup.
The next bit, I totally have to hold my hands up and just admit, we just weren’t feeling the desserts & cocktails/after dinner drinks took our attention! That being said, like I have said before TRY THE RUM CAKE!! 😀
After dinner drinkies…
Rum Sharing Board with Ting (fizzy grapefruit juice)
El dorado, Four Square Spiced, Angostura 1919, Gold of Mauritius
- Goombay Smash; Cockspur rum, Koko coconut rum, apricot liqueur, bitters, shaken with organge & pineapple.
- Koko Kanu coconut rum, banana liqueur, pineapple juice, pomegranate syrup & bitters.
- Overproof, dark, white, & golden rums, absinthe, pomegranate syrup & tropical juices
As I’ve said above, the food and the service are brilliant, and I will certainly be heading back soon, especially with all the beautiful sunshine we are getting! I really think Norwich needed a place like this in town, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different. From the atmosphere, bright colours, smell of flavour & happy faces (cocktail free I am sure ;-)) , it’s certainly got lots to grab your attention. I guess my only piece of slight ‘criticism’, would be with the sharing platter. The meat being so tender (which tasted great don’t get me wrong!), it would have been nice to have side plates. My poor dinner guest had to cope with me getting a bit messy with the food! Perhaps that’s just me being a little fussy though! Although I woke up this morning feeling a tad fragile, it all came from a night with good company, good food, good drinks, good service & sunshine… What more can a person ask for?!
Anyways, get your hungry butts down there! 🙂
Turtle Bay Norwich
8 Swan Ln,
Norwich NR2 1HZ