- 3 cups roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 3 Tbsp cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder/ or 2/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C and add hazelnuts to a baking tray. Roast for a total of 15 minutes. This is to just to warm the natural oils and loosen the skins. This will make it easier to blend into butter.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Transfer to a large kitchen towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins. Try to be patient at this stage, it helps to create a creamier nutella!
- Add hazelnuts to a food processor or high speed blender. Blend on low until a butter is formed- scraping down sides as needed.
- In the meantime, heat the chocolate (if using) using a bain marie or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Set aside.
- Once the hazelnut butter is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate/or the raw cacao, sea salt and vanilla. Blend/puree again until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt or vanilla if desired.
- NOTE: Just know the more liquid sweetener you add the firmer/stiffer the Nutella will get, so add sparingly.
- Store in sterilised jars, ready to spread on toast, use in fresh pastries or enjoy as a sneaky treat!