- 500ml double cream
- 500ml milk
- 3 garlic clove
- 8 large Potatoes
- 100g Gruyère cheese – I tend to use Parmesan as an alternative
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Tip the cream, milk and garlic into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Season with a pinch of salt – I find this teeny step the most important!
- Slice the potatoes very finely, about 3-4mm, add them to the saucepan of cream and simmer for 3 mins until just cooked.
- Gently stir.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a wide shallow ovenproof dish.
- Pour over the garlic infused cream (discarding the garlic) – but enough to seep through the layers and leave a little moisture on the surface.
- Scatter over the cheese, then bake for 30 mins until the potatoes are soft and browned.
- Enjoy as a side with steak, fish or something equally divine!