- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x Brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 x Garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed if preferred
- 1 Celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 x Carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 450g minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150ml beef stock
- 1 small glass of red wine
- Chopped olives – I tend to buy a small pot and use them all, minus a few that may end up in my belly! 🙂
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt/Pepper for seasoning
- spaghetti/pasta, to serve
- Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the bacon and fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and then fry for 10 mins, stirring often, until the veg has softened.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the mince, season and cook until the meat is browned all over.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, chopped basil, olives, thyme, rosemary, oregano, bay leaves, tomato purée, stock cube and wine. Stir with a wooden spoon, before bringing to the boil. Once boiling, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 1 hr 15 mins stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- Check the seasoning, before getting ready to cook the spaghetti. Do this, when the Bolognese is nearly finished cooked as per the pack instructions.
- Plate up, with grated Parmesan and crusty bread, if you like.