- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 5 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef stock cube, crumbled
- 850g stewing beef, diced
Using slow cooker
- In a frying pan, fry off the onion, carrots and celery, before adding to the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients, minus the flour.
- Stir, and cook on LOW for 8 hours. – I turn mine on just before I leave for work.
- Season for taste, serve.
Without slow cooker
- Heat oven to 160 Degrees Celsius.
- Add a knob of butter, and 1 tbsp oil to a casserole dish, before adding the celery, onion, carrots, bay and 1 thyme sprig.
- Soften for 10 mins, stir in the flour before adding the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock cubes.
- Gradually stir in 500ml hot water, then tip in the beef and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and put in the oven for 2hrs 30 mins, then uncover and cook for 30mins – 1hr more until the meat is really tender and the sauce is thickened.
Serve with crusty bread, potatoes, or enjoy it on it’s own!