I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar – Make sure you sive it!
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of full fat milk
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup of packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of double cream
- Generous pinch of salt
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- additional pinch of salt, as needed
- salted caramel candies for decoration, optional
- Rolo Sweets – halfed for topping decoration
M E T H O D
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare by filling a 12-cup muffin pan with cake cases.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, stir.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Slowly stir in the milk. Do not overmix the batter.
- Fill each cupcake liner 1/2-3/4 full with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes, or until the tops bounce back.
- Let the cupcakes cool before frosting, this usually takes around an 1 hour, but feel free to check occasionally.
- The icing:While the cupcakes are cooling, melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Once melted, add brown sugar and double cream.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add a generous pinch of salt, and allow to bubble for 3 full minutes, nothing more, nothing less.
- Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool, 10-15 minutes. The fridge doesn’t count though!
- With a hand mixer at medium speed, beat in the icing sugar 1 cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
- Add more salt if the frosting tastes too sweet.
- Get ready to ice those muffins! Top each one with half a rolo sweetie<3