It was my little sister’s 18th birthday weekend past and I wanted to come up with something different for the treats!
Although they sound very weird, and a little wrong – A-MA-ZIIIIING! 🙂
I N G R E D I E N T S
For the doughnuts:
- 500g (1lb) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 90g (3oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 200ml (7fl oz) Whole milk
- Streaky Bacon, roughly chopped
M E T H O D
For the Doughnuts:
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 170ºC (335F). Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Beat the eggs and oil into the milk.
- Add to the dry ingredients, mixing with a spoon to bind them together.
- Work the ingredients together into a smooth ball and then turn out on to a floured work surface.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of just over 1cm (1/2in).
- Flour the cutters and use the larger one to cut out rounds of dough, then cut out the centres using the smaller cutter.
- Re-roll the trimmings to make more doughnuts <3<3<3
- Now cook the doughnut rings 2 or 3 at a time.
- Place the rings carefully into the hot oil and cook for 3-4 mins, until golden on the bottom, then turn them over and cook for a further 2-3 mins, until they are an even golden colour and cooked through.
- Lift on to kitchen paper to drain briefly. Shake off any excess.
For the topping:
- In a small saucepan, heat the marmalade for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in half the bacon, and continue to heat for 1 minute.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, before covering each doughnut using a silicon brush.
- Top with additional bacon.